Friday, September 9, 2011

Yo Gabba Gabba, with a Little Help from Costco

Fresh off my fire truck cake, I had another kiddie project lined up - this one for my friend, Misha, whose sweet daughter just turned 2. 


Misha says Marcelle is obsessed with the show, Yo Gabba Gabba, although I started to get the clear impression that it's really Misha who loves the show more. I watched some clips, and I can totally understand why.
Click on the picture to watch a clip. Seriously, it's pretty awesome.
This was not my typical cake project, because... I didn't actually make a cake. I was going to be going out of town leading up to the party, so Misha got a sheet cake from Costo and I made the decorations.

 


The centerpiece was the boombox (that I believe the characters come out of at the start of every episode) made out of RKT and panels of fondant. This was my first time trying panels. Note to self: measure twice, cut once.




I made all 5 characters out of a gumpaste/fondant combo. Foofa is my favorite - she's pink and round and has a flower on her head!



I also put my x-acto knife to good use making a name plate for Marcelle that looked like the Yo Gabba Gabba logo.


I delivered the pieces with all the required accoutrement (bubble tea straws for support, extra gum-glue to reattach any loose pieces etc.) and hoped for the best.



Bah! I realized too late that I forgot to paint Plex's limbs with silver petal dust. He's the yellow robot and his arms and legs are supposed to look like they're covered in foil. 


I'm pretty sure Marcelle didn't mind.





No comments:

Post a Comment